Marlin 5 is a trail-worthy daily rider that's perfectly suited for everyday adventures, on and off the trail. A front suspension fork with 100mm of travel, 21 speeds, and mounts for a rack and kickstand make it an ideal choice for new trail riders or anyone looking for a comfortable, stable commuter with the ruggedness of a real mountain bike.
It's right for you if...
You're testing the waters of off-road riding, and want a real mountain bike at a great value, with a wide range of gears to cover more ground on the road and trail.
The tech you get
The heart of Marlin 6 is a lightweight Alpha Silver Aluminum frame with internal derailleur routing. It has 24 speeds, a wide-range cassette so you can always find the right gear for your terrain, hydraulic disc brakes that feel smoother than mechanical disc brakes, and a 100mm suspension fork with a lockout feature—that's the same amount of travel favored by most cross-country racers.
The final word
Performance features like suspension lockout, stronger double-walled rims, and hydraulic disc brakes. It's also equipped with rack and kickstand mounts and a wider range of gears. These design details make it a great choice if your mountain bike doubles as your commuter.
- Lots of gears so you can cover a lot of ground fast, without ever pedaling too easy or too hard
- Smaller frame sizes (13.5-inch and 15.5-inch) have short-reach brake levers that make it easier and more comfortable for riders with smaller hands to brake confidently
- It has separate brake and shift levers (a feature that's common on more expensive mountain bikes) so you can fine-tune the positioning for comfort
- Rack and kickstand mounts make it easy to accessorize, so your mountain bike can double as a rugged commuter
- Like every model in the Marlin family, it's backed by Trek's lifetime warranty